What is Spirometry Testing?
Onsite Spirometry testing or Occupational Lung Function Testing is the most common test of lung function testing and important for the screening and management of workers at risk of occupational lung disease. For some workplaces it is important to establish a baseline respiratory function so that an employee’s lung function can be monitored over time to determine whether any occupational exposures to airborne hazards such as vapors, dusts, gases, fumes are impacting on lung function.
How We Can Help You?
Occupational lung diseases are conditions of the repiratory system caused by risk factors as a result of occupational exposures. The severity of the diseases may vary from acute to infectious in nature.
Occupational lung function testing aims to monitor the employees health over a period of time, to determine whether a decline in lung function is occurring due to work related exposure.
The long lasting effects of lung disease will affect quality of life for many of those exposed to the occupational hazards.
It is therefor important to raise awareness of the duties of the Employer for eliminating and minimising airborne contaminants and for regular testing of employees to ensure quality of life.
Occupational lung diseases may include some of the following conditions:
- Asbestosis, asbestosis induced carcinoma, mesothelioma – diseases caused by inhalation of asbestos.
- Byssinosis – a respiratory disease caused by inhalation of cotton dust.
- Silicosis – fibrotic lung disease caused by exposure to respirable crystalline silica, may lead to lung cancer.
For more information on these and other occupational lung diseases head to some of these links below:
Spirometry testing can be conducted as a standalone service or as part of a Health Monitoring Program, our flexibility will meet your every need.
What can be expected on the day of testing:
- The onsite spirometry testing is conducted by one of our trained nurses and will use a spirometer to measure the lung function of the employee.
- The spirometry test is a painless and non evasive test during which time the participants will be asked to breathe in through the apparatus (Spirometer).
- The participant will be required to take a big a breath followed by exhaling as fast as they can through the apparatus.
- The test may need to be performed as many as eight times and may need to be done while wearing a nose piece to stop air coming out of the nose.
- Depending on the results, the participant may be referred to a specialist for further testing.
Conducting regular and systematic Spirometry monitoring helps in detecting lung function deterioration and aids early detection. Our friendly staff will assist you in determining the best testing regime for you and your employees.
Our Occupational health Physician will upon completion review all the results and make the appropropriate recommendations directly with the Employee.
Drug & Alcohol Screening
Work Health Specialists provides a wide range of onsite workplace drug and alcohol testing across Australia. Our accredited drug testers will attend your work site and perform urine or saliva drug testing and a breath alcohol test. All our testing meets the relevant Australian standards, with results that are legally defensible.
Mental Health Services
You have Public Liability insurance and Workers Compensation but how can you protect your business from the downside of poor mental health? Legislation passed in 2012 dictates every workplace has a legal obligation to protect employee health and safety, both physically and mentally. But it makes great financial sense for your business too to take steps to ensure the working environment is considerate of mental health and aware of what makes a happy, healthy workplace.
Workplace Health Checks
Work Health Specialists deliver a variety of on-site health checks that provide your employees with a confidential assessment of their health status. All results are received on the spot and are 100% confidential. Employees will receive their own personal results with feedback and healthy lifestyle advice to aid them in making improvements.
On completion of this Workplace Audiometry Training you will be able to conduct hearing tests at your own workplace when needed. The Workplace Audiometry Course delivers comprehensive training in the skills and knowledge required to conduct accurate assessments that meet legislative requirements.
Let’s Create an Awesome Workplace, Together.
For a no obligation quote, contact us today.
Would You Like To Start A Project With Us?
Providing health and mental health services is what we do, contact us today !!!